Chimuanya Chinonso hails from Mbaise in Imo State of Nigeria. He was involved in a car accident and as a result, he lost his left leg. After the accident, he was rushed to Christiana Specialist Hospital Egbu, Owerri. His poor parents, who had no means of livelihood, could not raise the money needed. On a compassionate ground, the hospital kept treating him until the amputation was done on his leg. After the amputation, it got to a point where the hospital was no longer able to continue the treatment on him because he was poor and unable to raise the fees for any of his medical bills. He was neglected for a while but when the hospital management saw that he was abandoned with no one coming to his rescue to pay the outstanding fees and provide for his full treatment, they decided to continue treatment on the condition that he will not be discharged till all his accrued medical bills were cleared (₦750,000 .00).

The picture above shows Chimuanya’s first contact with AHF while still in the hospital

As kind as the members of Chimuanya’s community were and how much he was loved, they levied themselves in order to raise some money after they heard that he was soon going to be discharged from the hospital, and after two months they were only able to raise Seventeen Thousand Naira (₦17,000 .00), which was not even close to the amount the hospital demanded. After he had received all needed medical treatment he was discharged, but held back for a period of two months due to unpaid bills. Fate smiled on him on the 9th of September, 2011 when Arm of Hope Foundation (AHF) medical team took another beneficiary to the same hospital for treatment and got to know about Chimuanya’s situation. His story was a typical case of lack of access to affordable health care, extreme poverty, and abandonment by his care givers due to their low-socio-economic status. After verification about the state of his stay in the hospital was made, the board of directors approved for the payment of all his medical bills without his knowledge. Two days after the payment was made, AHF president and the medical team made the trip to the hospital to take him home. When president of AHF and volunteers arrived at the hospital, they informed him that he was going home, and had been freed from his overwhelming medical bills he suddenly burst into tears, overjoyed that finally the burden had been lifted from his young shoulders and he can go home. He arrived in his small community unannounced in the company of the AHF president and members and they were all surprised and filled with joy to see their boy finally returned home in good health.

The pictures above show Chimuanya being brought home to his family by AHF